Like many parathas, I discovered mooli paratha after I started blogging. Since it was a new recipe to me, I did try it once and for my surprise, he did like the parathas. So from there on I make use of the fresh radishes, when ever I get in the store.
I have previously tried stuffing them, I find mixing everything in one bowl, is much more convenient to me. So this is how I make these Parathas.
- Radish - 1 big grated (about 1 cup,look for fresh and crisp radishes when buying them)
- Green/Spring onions - 2or 3 springs (optional, I use this to give nice color and mild onion flavor)
- Cilantro/coriander leaves - one hand full chopped
- Spices : Turmeric, Cumin seeds, Red chili powder - 1tsp each
- Whole wheat flour/ atta flour - 2 cups + more for dusting and kneading if needed.
- Peel skin and grate radish ( i use large hole grater,so the mixture won't be very watery), finely chop onions and cilantro. mix everything with spices mentioned above, add some salt and keep for 10 min.
- Then add wheat flour mix well to combine, add little oil and knead well. Since radish leave lots of liquid, i have not used any water.
- Once it forms to stiff dough , cover and leave for 10 more Min's.
- If you find the dough is sticky, add more flour and knead well and make small balls with it and roll to small,thin circles.
- Heat a griddle/tava on medium high heat, once hot transfer the rolled paratha and cook for a min or so on each side until you see small brown blisters( don't leave rotis too long, flip/turn to other side as soon as see little bubbles). If its too dry add little oil while cooking.