Okra/bendekaayi - 1 packet frozen ( use fresh tender once if available )
Tempering : Oil, mustard seeds and channadal - 1tsp each.
For spice-sour-sweet sauce :
- Red chili powder/ Sambar powder for spicyness- 1tsp ( add green chillis for more spicyness)
- Jaggery/ brown sugar for sweetness - 1tbsp.
- Salt accordingly.
- Heat oil in wide pan, when hot add mustard seeds and channadal, when dal starts to change colour add Okra ( thaw the frozen okra before putting it in, if using fresh chop first and then add)
- Let it cook on medium heat untill its colour changes from light to dark green ( to avoid stickness , donot turn frequently).
- Gently turn them and let it cook through. It takes about 15 20 mins for okra to cook and loose the stickness. Once this is done.
- Add tamarind water (squeeze tamarind, discard pulp and use the water), add more water if required and add chili powder, jaggery and salt to taste. On medium-high heat allow it to cook and let the flavors combines will. Once the curry thickens, switch off.
- Allow it to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy with rice or rotis.