Different kinds of squashes are used for making this curry, most common is ash gourd, other veggies and squashes like cucumber, winter squash, chayote, bottle gourd are used. I made this with Chayote (seemebadanikayi/chow chow) squash, which is available in our store all year.
- Curds/yogurt - about a cup ( I used home made)
- Chayote squash - 1( skin peeled, core removed, chopped and cooked till tender)
- Coconut grated- 1tbsp or more
- Dalia Dal/hurigadale - about 2tbsp
- Cilantro/coriander leaves- 1 big hand full cleaned and washed
- Chillies red or green - 2 or 3
- Cumin seeds - 1tsp
- Oil, mustard seeds, urad Dal and - 1tsp each
- Hing a pinch
- Cook squash with little water, until just tender.
Grind into smooth paste all the above ingredients with adding enough water.
- Mix grind paste with yogurt, to the add cooked squash mix well. Add salt and adjust to taste.
- Do the tempering by adding mustard seeds and urad dal to to oil, add hing. When dal starts to change color add the tempering to yogurt mixture. Mix well.