For the first time today I tried making chutney with eggplant. It tasted creamy with eggplant, nice spice with chilis and sweet taste from shallots,very delicious and it is simple and easy recipe to make.
Ingredients I used.
- Eggplant/brinjal/badanekayi - 1 big or 3-4 small
- Shallot or red onion - small one
- Green chili's - 1or 2 according to desired spice level.
- Oil - 1 tbsp for cooking eggplant + 1 tsp for seasoning
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Hing/asafeotida - one pinch
- Wash and chop eggplants to bit size pieces. Cut shallots/onions as well.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan, when hot add chopped eggplant and onion and fry till little soft and not mushy. Takes about 10 - 12 mins. Keep stirring in between to make sure the veggies doesn't stick to the pan. Once done keep aside and let it cool.
- Once cool enough, take them all in a blender/mixie, add salt and cut chilis and grind it to a course paste.I have not used any water while grinding. Moisture from eggplant is enough to grind them and gives excellent texture to chutney.
- Now take this mixture in a bowl and season with hot oil, mustard seeds and hing. Pour the seasoning over chutney and mix well(add little red chili powder while seasoning, to make the chutney more spicier).
* Instead of roasting the eggplant in a pan, roasting can done in oven and make sure not to make it too mushy . Using shallots instead of onions to gives chutneys more flavor.
I'll be sending this to Chutney/Dip Mania hosted by Ramya of MANE ADIGE.
Here are some other chutney recipes previously posted on my blog.
Sweet Potato Chutney