Rottis are one of the tiffin items commonly made in every household, its either made with rice flour or Ragi flour. In north karnataka region it usually made with jowar flour and which is called jolada Rotti/jowar Rotti.
Ennegayi- enne (oil), kayi/gayi- coconut, made with eggplant/brinjal(badanekayi) goes very well with any kind of rottis. This is my favorite side dish and this is my mother's recipe. My entry for RCI-Karnataka hosted by Asha of Foodie,s hope.
- Ragi flour- 3cups, boiling water-2 cups or more, cumin seeds-1tsp,red onion chopped- 1 medium size,curry leaves - few.
- Bring water to boil, to the flour mix onion,cumin and curry leaves add salt and boiling water.
- Mix well, cover for 10 mins steam from the hot water soften the flour. Then with little oil mix the dough. It should be soft and not too hard.
- Smear oil on flat griddle or round bottomed wok (bandle), spread in circular motion with the help of some oil or water.
- Cover and cook on medium high heat for 2-3 mins, once the edges start leaving the vessel take out and serve.
Enjoy it when its warm.
* leaving for too long on griddle makes it hard. so cook on med-high heat for few mins. For detail on making rotti check the link here for akki-rotti.
- Veggies I used - eggplant, tomato and onion.
- For grinding into paste: Small piece of onion, coconut-2 tbsp,roasted-channa dal(hurigadale)-2 tbsp,poppy seeds(gasagase)-2 tbsp, ginger- 1inch piece, green chili- 1, cinnamon-clove- 2 each.
- Heat oil in thick vessel add mustard and cumin seeds then add veggies and fry till onions are soft. In the mean while grind the above ingredients to smooth paste using water.
- Then add the ground paste to the veggies, add salt and pinch of turmeric mix well , add enough water. Cover and cook for 10 mins.
- It will be ready by now. Enjoy with rottis.