Yams(Genasu in Kannada) are also known as Sweet potatoes. Sometimes they are bright orange color, which are very sweet to taste. I like to use the creamy white variety, since they are mildly sweet.
Whenever I get them from store, I usually make chutney with it. I hardly get any coconuts in my local store here. So yams are a very good alternative and tastes as good as regular coconut chutneys. Along with yams I have added walnuts, to give chutney a good texture and some nutrition. I have also made this chutney using pistachio, cashews and peanuts(groundnuts), any kind of nuts combines very well with yams.
So here a very simple, quick, tasty and healthy chutney.
- Yams/Sweet potatoes (Genasu) - 1 big/ about 2 cups after grating.
- Chilies (Red dried ) - 3-4
- Tamarind extract (tamarind paste) - about 2 tbsp
- Walnuts - 1/4 cup lightly toasted ( groundnuts, pistachio, cashews, Dalia Dal, coconuts can be used instead)
- Salt to taste.
- Wash, peel the skin and grate yams.
- Lightly toast the nuts.
- Extract juice from tamarind.
- Once the nuts are cool enough, take chilies, grated yams, tamarind water, toasted nuts in a blender.
- Blend them using little water at a time, untill it comes to a course paste.Taste and adjust salt.
- Lastly, do the seasoning with oil, mustard seeds and little hing. Mix well and serve.
Tastes good with rice, dose, idly, chapathis or just as a spread on bread toast. Enjoy !