Today is the first day of seven days of recipe marathon, a group of 29 food bloggers will be preparing and posting a recipe a day for 7 days, to countdown to the New Years.
Nupur who is the creator of this marathon was kind enough to let me join in for the event last minute, thanks Girl . I decided to make breads (flat breads as well as baked breads), so I'll be posting recipes for 7 different breads for next 7 consecutive days.
Chapatis or Wholewheat flour breads(flat bread) is our daily bread, we eat them for our dinner daily (almost). So today I'll be posting the recipe I use for making this type of flat bread.
- Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
- Wheat germ - 2 tbsp (optional, but very nutritional addition)
- Flaxseed's (powdered) - 2 tbsp (known as Agasi seeds in Kannada)
- Salt - 1tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp ( for kneading)
- Water - 1- 1& 1/2 cups
- Yogurt (curds) - 2 tbsp (optional, I add to make the breads soft)
- Take a wide mouthed bowl, mix whole wheat flour, wheat germ, flax seeds, curds and salt.
- Mix them using enough water to form a thick dough, knead them using little oil to make soft dough. Close and keep side for at least 15 mins.
- When ready to eat, heat a flat pan/tava (i use cast-iron one). Put it on medium-high heat.
- Divide the dough to small balls, flatten it and roll them to circular shape as thin as possible (refer the pics above). Roll the rest of the dough and keep it ready.
- Then put the rolled dough on a hot pan, when you start to see few puffy bubbles, press it with the spatula and turn it around . Let it cook for few seconds on the other side, until you see few brown spots. Add oil on top if you prefer.
- Above measurement makes up to 8 medium size Chapatis/flat breads.
Enjoy the soft and nutritious bread warm , with your favorite side dish.