This is a Gujarati-style Hot, Sweet & Sour Potato dish, from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian (Cook book).
I was looking for a new recipe to try with potatoes, to go along with Dosa/dose for our lunch this afternoon. So tried potatoes Gujarati style, end result was very delicious. The combined flavors of chilli powder, tamarind and brown sugar(jaggery) with potatoes was very tasty. We literally licked the plate off.
- Potatoes - 3 medium size or 2 cups(skin peeled and cubed)
- Tomato - 1 small
- Chili powder -1/2 tsp ( cayenne pepper)
- Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Corriander-1/2 tsp
- Tamarind paste- 2tsp
- Brown sugar- 2 tbsp (Jaggery can be substituted)
- Vegetable oil - 3tbsp ( Recipe calls for 1/4 cup oil, I have used less)
- Cilantro leaves- 2tbsp ( I have substitute it for curry leaves)
- Salt to taste.
1. Peel the skin and cut potatoes into small bite size pieces.Put them in cold water.
2. Then drain water, pat them dry and add turmeric, chili powder, cumin- coriander powder and salt. Toss potatoes to coat well with all the spices.
3. In the mean while, heat oil in a wide pan. When hot add the spice coated potatoes. Stir them in-between.
4. When potatoes turn slightly brown on all sides. Add a cup of water.
5. Chop tomatoes and add them at this time as well. To this add tamarind extract or paste, brown sugar. Mix well.
6. Bring it boil, and simmer down and cook for 10 more mins. Slightly mash few potatoes to get nice consistency. Check for taste and add salt if needed.
7. Finally garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves. Serve warm.
Happy Long Weekend !