When Sunitha announced spice for this month as Saffron, the only thing I had in my mind was Badam barfi. So today I made it and was very delicious with rich flavour of almonds and saffron.
When ever I make sweet dishes I use saffron for garnishing and for its pleasent aroma and light yellow colour it gives to the dish. For this badam dish I have added saffron for coloring(added bit more) and for garnish.
This is my entry for Sunitha's Think Spice-Saffron
Ingredients for Burfi:
- Almonds - 1cup
- Sugar- 1/2 cup(Use more for more sweetness)
- Water- 3/4 cup
- Milk - 2 tbsp (to disslove saffron)
- Ghee - 2tbsp (1tbs for greesing the plate)
- Saffron- 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom- 1 pod (crushed)
This above measurement makes 12 peices of the size of the above picture.
- Add one cup of whole almonds to boiling water, switch off and cover and let it stand for an hour. Then peel the skin (it slights of easily).
- Grind the almonds with little water(can use milk)to smooth paste.
- Take a thick bottomed pan add water and sugar and disslove sugar. Then add almond paste and saffron dissloved in milk.Add 1 tbsp of ghee and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Mixture will be very dilute, keep stirring every few minutes on medium-high heat. It takes about 30 -40 minutes untill the mixture gets thick.
- Once it starts to get thick and starts leaving the edges of the vessel, transfer it to the greased plate(see the above picture).
- With back of the spoon knead it like dough(to smooth is out and keading give glossy finish) and spread on plate and cut to desired shape.(At this point one can make like balls or pedas). Garnish with some saffron and chopped almonds on top.
- Let it cool and Enjoy !
*I have added just 1 tbsp of ghee, so mine was bit chewy. Adding more ghee give crumbly texture to the burfi.