Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Kosambari/ Carrot salad

k2.jpg

Kosambari is like a salad,usually made with carrots or cucumbers.I like to call this as 'Indian Salad'. It is served in temples as 'prasada'. At my mom's house during any festival this is a must side dish to go along rice and rasam.

Last year I was In India during 'Shravana Maasa' its the begining of festival season. During this month every tuesday for 5 weeks my mom used to make these kind of kosambari for pooja. So today being one of the tuesday I too made this for lunch.

Here is how I made..

Split moong dal 1/4 (cup soaked in water for 1/2 hour)

Carrot 1 peeled and grated

Coconut fresh 2 tsp (unfortunately I don't get fresh ones, so i used dried)

Cliantro few chopped

Lemon/lime juice 1tsp.

Salt to taste.

For seasoning

Oil, mustard, urad dal and red or green chillies 1.

ki.jpg

Method.



  • Soak split yellow/moongdal for about half hour. Then drain the water and mix veggies.


  • Mix together soaked dal, grated carrot , coconut, cilantro leaves, lime juice.


  • Add salt to taste.


  • Heat oil, when its hot add mustard seeds,urad dal and chilis to it. When urad dal starts to change colour turn off heat and this seasoning to veggies. Mix well.


k-d.jpg

Kosambari good to eat as such or as a side dish. For me this is the best salad of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment