- Delicata Squash - 2 cups coarsely grated (any kind of pumpkin/squash can be used)
- Red onion- 1 medium size thinly sliced
- Cilantro/coriander leaves- one handful chopped
- Chickpea flour and rice flour about a cup
- Cayenne pepper- 1tsp (use less or more to desired taste)
- Turmeric- 1 tsp (for color) optional
- Salt to tasted
- Peanut/groundnut oil - for deep frying.
Little info about Delicata Squash
Delicata squashes are oblong in shape, small in size measures about 5 to 10 inches long. They are also known as peanut squash, because of the way it looks.
Outer skin is light colored with greenish orange strips and can be cut easily and skins can peeled easily using regular vegetable peeler.
Inside flesh is light yellow in color, sweet to taste. Can be used in making stir fries, curries, baking.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Mix together grated squash, sliced onions, chopped cilantro leaves to that add rice flour and chickpea flour, salt and Cayenne pepper.Add water little by little to make the batter, it should be thick enough to drop into the oil.
- When oil is hot enough, take the batter make like a Pattie on you hand or on a parchment paper and slide down slowly into hot oil 2 -3 at a time( or just drop little by little using a spoon). Fry till golden brown.
- Take out and drain excess oil on paper towel, serve warm with chutney or hot sauce.
We enjoyed with hot cup of coffee.
*Not in a mood to eat deep fried snacks, this can also be shallow fried. Make sure the mixture is not too thin.