Plantains or Balekayi as we call in Kannada. Which is most used for making Bhajjis (deep fried with chickpea flour coating) or deep fried chips. We love them both and enjoy eating them, but since its deep fried I make them very rarely.
Last week I was going through a magazine, where I saw this recipe for Baked Plantains(Recipe of Ingrid Hoffmann). I followed her recipe but replaced Cilantro leaves for Parsley. I made this as a evening snack and very much enjoyed them, very healthy way of using Plantains.
(Adapted from Ingrid Hoffmann's Recipe)
- Plantain (s) - 1 big or 2-3 small ones
- Spices : chili powder, cumin powder
- Cilantro/coriander leaves - 2 tbsp (wash and chopped)
- Peanut oil - 2tsp
- Salt for taste
- Pre-heat the oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the skin of plantain and cut them to medium size slices ( not too thin or thick)
- In a bowl mix oil, salt, chili powder and cumin powder and chopped cilantro leaves. Mix well (if making for kids mix every thing except chili powder).
- Coat the sliced plantains with the oil mixture on both sides. Lay them in a single layer on a Parchment paper or foil in a baking sheet.
- Cover them loosely with a foil and bake for about 10-15 mins and turn them and bake for another 5-10 mins. Let it cool a bit.
Enjoy! Have a nice Weekend eveyone.