Saturday, May 10, 2008

Back to blogging with Pineapple Gojju

Hello dear friends,

Its been more than 2 months since I posted any recipe, days are going so fast. I was on vacation for 5 weeks to my cousins house in NJ. It was fun I did lots of shopping, chating and enjoyed spring there.

Now I am back in Alaska, where its still snowing. Getting back to my regular routine of cooking and checking my fellow bloggers recipes and finally today I got to update my recipes.

So here is the recipe of Pineapple gojju, which I have been thinking to make from very long time.
Gojju is a combination of sweet-sour/tangy-spicy-salt . While making regular gojju like tomato,onion or brinjal we use tamarind and Jaggery. Since Pineapple tend to be both sweet and sour I have not used tamarind and jaggery instead its made with roasting and grinding few spices and lentils with coconut, this kind of gojju is usually made during special occasions and festivals.

Since we get lots of canned, pre-cut pineapples here, I made it for our lunch today. This is a very simple, easy and tasteful side dish goes well with rice, dosa and idlies or any rice based items.


Ingredinets :
  • Pineapple chopped/crushed - 1 Can (I used Del Monte with natural juice)
  • Garnish - 1 spring onion

Tempering :
  • Oil - 1tsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2tsp
  • Channadal - 1/2 tsp
  • Hing - 2pinchs

To Roast and Grind:
  • Channadal - 2 tsp
  • Uraddal - 1tsp
  • Cumin/jeera - 1tsp
  • Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Methi seeds- 1/2 tsp
  • Red chilles- 2-3
  • Coconut fresh - 1tbsp
  • Oil - 1tsp


1. Remove the pineapples from the can, drain the juice, give it a rinse to remove sweetness. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan once hot enough add mustard seeds, Channadal and hing. When dal turns light brown add pineapple and fry for few minutes just to make them coat with oil and seasonings.

2. In a pan heat 1 tsp of oil and roast all the ingredients mentioned above. Once cooled down grind into powder or make paste using little water.

3. Add the grounded mixture to the pineapple, add water if required or pineapple juice. Add salt let it simmer for 10- 15 minutes until pineapple mixes will with the flavors of the ground mixture.

4. Switch off the heat, garnish with fresh herbs I used spring onions as a garnish. Ready to serve.
*This curry was bit too sweet for me, so I added more chili powder at the end to balance the sweet-sour flavor.


We enjoyed gojju with dosa.

1 comment:

  1. Wawww,It really is a great dish,name itself yummy,I could not guess how pineapple mix with these masalamix...but still i want to give a try..and i'll let u know

    ReplyDelete