For our everyday lunch, I usually make rice dishes, most of the days it rice and sambar/saaru, with veggies playa. Some day is one-pot rice dishes. But Rice and rasam is our favorite meal all the time. I make this atleast one a week. Would like to send this to Asha's RCI- Kanataka.
In Kannada rasam is also know as Thili saaru. Thili meaning like water. This rasam is made with just tomatos no dal is added and freshly roasted cumin-black pepper powder give nice taste and aroma to it. This is how my mom makes and most home in Mysore region make it the same way just with tomatoes.
- Tomatoes- 2 big ones
- Spices- rasam powder- 1 tbsp, cumin-black pepper powder 2 tsp, turmeric- 1/2 tsp.
- Others- Jaggery 2 tbsp and tamarind juice (this is optional)
- Oil- 1tsp
- Mustard seeds, red chilli ,few curry leaves and hing a small pinch.
- Corriender/cilantro leaves
- 1Tbsp of coconut.( I was out of it so havent't added)
Here is the recipe for Rasam
- Pressure cook the tomatoes, remove the skin,mash and extract the juice of it by squeesing the tomatoes and discard the tough pulp. (Make sure tomatoes are cool enough to handle)
- Dry roast 1 tsp of each cumin and black pepper for few minutes and crush it. (Freshely made tastes good).
- Combine all the ingredints and bring it to high boil add jaggery and tamarind extract and salt to taste. Let it all cook together for 10-12 mins.
- Then switch off and do the seasoning with oil, mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves and one red chilli.
- Lastely garnish with cilantro leaves.
Enjoy with plain white rice of tastes good with puliyogare and with cumin and black pepper added to the rasam, pour hot rasam to a small steel-coffee cup and just take sip after sip after sip, this is the way I enjoy rasam.