I got oatmeal from the store and tried making upma once neither of us liked upma. It was too chewy for us. I had lots of oatnmeal left. Thought of making some dessert and did make pudding yesterday it turned out very well . Now I can finish off the whole box of oatmeal. With the combination of milk, jaggery, ghee and any ingredient added to that tastes good.
I call it puddding because I used the ingredients I used for making pudding but it tasted like halwa. I used jaggery instead of sugar for this pudding. So here is the recipe for simple and healthy oatmeal pudding/halwa.
Oatmeal about 1 cup ( powdered using a coffee grinder)
Milk about 1 1/2 cup
Jaggery about 3 tbsp or more(add sugar or brown sugar instead of jaggery)
Ghee about 2 tbsp
Cardamon few pods chrushed.
- First grind the oatmeal coarsly(can use the whole oatmeal without grinding).
- Then with 1 tbsp of ghee roast oatmeal on medium heat untill its light brown in colour.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add milk when it starts to boil add jaggery(crush it, so it dissloves easily) and cardamon.
- When jaggery is completely dissloved add roasted oatmeal keep stirring it untill its bit thick in consistancy and milk and oatmeal has incorporated very well.
- Lastly add 1 tbsp of ghee and mix well.
Eat it hot or warm. Enjoy !
*It tends to thicken a little bit more when its cooled. Tastes better when its warm.
*Can also add ghee roasted nuts.
Since this pudding is made with jaggery and never tried it before as Kay has said here...I would like to send this as my entry to Jihva for Jaggery hosted by Kay of Towards better Tomorrow.