Avocado's also known as butter pear, alligator pear and sometimes as butter fruit. Avocados are most widely used in Mexican cuisine's and Guacamole is one of the famous dip/dish made with this fruit.
We are very fond of spicy Mexican dips, I regularly make authentic Mexican Guacamole to go with some corn chips. Sometimes I do the Indian version of Guacamole in place of chutneys by doing the tempering with mustard seeds, hing and urad dal . Just adding the seasoning/tempering to the avocados, gives a very different taste to it. This will be good as side-dish with Indian kind rotis.
So here is how I make it.
- Avocado(s) - 1 or 2
- Lime/lemons - about half (this helps to prevent oxidation or changing into brown color)
- Red onions/ Shallot - 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Green chillies - 1or 2 finely chopped (depending on level of spiciness)
- Oil - 2tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - one pinch
- Cut avocados in half, remove the pit/seed and skin. Mash them coarsely.
- Squeeze fresh lime/lemon to the avocados.
- Add finely chopped onion and chili,add salt to taste. Mix well to combine.
- Lastly do the tempering with oil, when oil is hot add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When dal changes color and mustard seeds start to pop add hing and add this seasoning to the Avocado mixture, mix well.
Quick and healthy side dish/dip/chutney is ready to be served. We usually eat this with Chapatis. Enjoy !