When I get huge cravings to eat some spicy fried food, I can't help but try and make it little healthy by adding spinach and lentils. So over the last weekend I made some Halasandekalu vade(black-eye peas) and spinach (soppu) vada.
I'll send this as my entry to Mansi's Fun & Food for Monthly Mingle-Appetizers & Hors'Doeuvres.
- Black-eye peas - 1 cup (soaked for 2 hours in water)
- Red onion- 1 medium chopped finely
- Spinach - 1/2 cup chopped( I used frozen)
- Cilantro leaves-1/4 cup chopped
- Green chillies- 3 or more chopped
- Ginger- 2" piece chopped
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste.
- Peanut oil for deep frying.
- Soak peas in 3 cups of water for 2 hours. Drain all the water and grind it to course paste.
- If using fresh spinach chop and add. Since i used frozen i thawed and squeeze water out of it and then used it.
- Add all the above chopped veggies mix well. Add chili powder and salt to taste.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat and fry them in batches of 3-4 at a time, till golden brown on both sides.