Hope you all had a nice Deepavali/Diwali weekend.
Like many of you, this was a new kind of sweet to me as well. I have tasted this sweet dish few times, only at my aunt's place. And she is the only one who makes this in our family. This burfi has a very nice crumbs like texture to it, with wheat flour and besan roasted and mixed with hot home made ghee, and gets some crunchy peanuts in between. Once you taste this , I bet you'll be wanting more.
- Wheat flour(godi hittu) - 1 cup (i have used whole wheat flour)
- Crushed Jaggery (bella)- 1 cup (brown sugar can be substituted)
- Ghee (tuppa) - 1 cup
- Peanuts/ groundnuts (kadalekayi) - 1/4 cup
- Besan flour (kadale hittu) - 1/4 cup .
Procedure for making burfi (fudge) is very simple. Take few steps for roasting the flour and can be done with in half an hour.
- First roast peanuts till light golden color, let it cool. Then crush coarsely and keep aside.
- In the same pan, roast wheat flour on medium-hight heat till you smell nice aroma. Takes about 5-7 min to get nicely roasted. Then take out and let it cool.
- Next add besan and roast for few Min's, till the raw smell is goes and gets a nice aroma.
- Crush jaggery and keep aside as well. Once all the above ingredients have cooled mix them all along with jaggery and keep ready.
- Take a plate, grease well with little ghee or oil .
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee on medium-high heat. When ghee is hot and starts to smoke ( its important to add the mixture when ghee starts to smoke). Everything mixes with ghee and comes together, stir for 1 -2 mins. Make sure not to burn.
- Now pour the hot mixture to the greased plate, smear evenly. Let it cool a bit, make desired shape with the help of knife.
- Let it cool completely before cutting out a piece. Enjoy !
* The pieces should be hold its shape, but will be crumbly when you bite into it.
*If any one knows this sweet by any other name, please let me know.