Cracked wheat or broken wheat known as Godhi thari in Kannada. I use them regularly in my kitchen for making upma/porridge and Kheer/payasa most often. Last week I tried making idlies with cracked wheat and it really came out very soft with nice texture.
For making Idlies I have used the basic Idly recipe of 1:2 ratio of Urad Dal to rice here instead of rice I have used Cracked wheat. One thing I noticed with these idlies was, wheat fills you up and doesn't make you hungry for several hours. A healthy way to start the day.
- Urad dal /Uddinabele- 1 cup
- Cracked wheat/Godhi thari - 2 cups
- Wash and soak urad dal and cracked wheat in a 2 separate bowls for at least for 4-5 hours.
- Then drain all the water from the urad dal and grind in mixer or blender. Add water little by little to make the batter smooth and fluffy. Takes about 15 mins. Batter should be bit thick in consistency.
- Now drain water from soaked cracked wheat, and mix them with ground batter. Mix well to combine.
- Cover and let it ferment (i use micro oven) for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- After it ferments or doubled its volume. Add little salt and mix gently.
- Bring water to boil, lightly grease the Idly mould. Pour the batter and steam for 15- 20 mins. Switch off and let it cool for 10 more mins.
- Once cooled Idlies comes off easily from the mould. Serve with chutney or sambar on the side.
Previously posted Dessert recipe using cracked wheat.
Cracked-Wheat Pudding (Godhi Payasa/Kheer).
Off this goes to JFI-Wheat hosted by Roma of Roma's Space which was originally started by Indira of Mahanandi.