One can make this curry with any kind of squash they like. Back home Chayote squash is widely available all year long. After coming to US I was so happy to see this kind of squash at local gorcery store. This curry is one thing I do with it.
- Chayote squash (Seemebadane kaayi)1 (cut into bit size peices)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Chillies- 2 or more (I use dried red chillies)
- Tumeric - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin/Jeera - 1tsp
- Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut 2tbsp (Fresh or Dry) Dried red chillies - 2
- Gram Flour/besan - 1tsp
- Salt for taste
- Oil 2 tsp, mustard 1/2 tsp, cumin 1/2 tsp.
- Keep a pan on medium heat and do the seasoning by adding mustard, cumin and to the oil .
- Now add peeled and cubed squash and add little salt mix and cook for 5minutes untill its half done.
- Mean while gring the coconut, mustard, cumin, chilles,gram flour, tamarind paste with little water to make it like a paste(You can soak tamarind in water and use tamarind water for grinding).
- After 5 mins or untill the squash is half done add the grind mixture, salt and more water to the make it bit thin(Adding gram flour will thicken the gravy ).
Cover and simmer it down for 5 more mins. Switch off. It is ready to be served.
It goes well with chapathi. Enjoy !